Constructed originally by J. Gardner Roberts, Jr. for a post office, the building first became used as a library in 1895 when Mr. Roberts made space available in his post office.  It was originally named Pierce Library  as a requirement by Alfred Pierce who donated books.  Following the passing of Mr. Roberts in 1924, the library's name was officially changed to Gardner Roberts Memorial Library. 

       For generations Hanover citizens, especially children, looked forward to library hours.  Yearly bake sales financed the operation and the all female organization provided librarians who usually were unpaid volunteers. To raise funds the Library Association sponsored community events.  With changing times interest waned until eventually the library was open by appointment only.  Some suggested the building should be demolished.

J. Gardner Roberts, Jr.

     Rather than give up the historic library building a group formed to raise funds to move it from the Howard Pond Road to a more convenient location on Ferry Road adjacent to the Hanover Town Office.   Fundraising began with several garage sales.  In the picture to the right are Barb and Irv Robinson as they prepared for their cross country coast to coast bicycle trip for money pledges to the library, a highly successful endeavor.  Another fundraiser was a bottle drive spearheaded by then 13 year old Sara Moir. Although personal donations came from many people and businesses in Hanover, the area and around the world, the goal continually seemed to out of reach. However, in 2006 the project of relocating the building was assured when the Raymond Taylor family in memory of Jane K.Taylor contributed the remaining funds needed for moving and refurbishing the building .

Although closely associated with the Town of Hanover, Gardner Roberts Memorial Library Association functions independently and is self governing.

Click  NEXT  for the library's move and dedication

[Home][Select Board][Office Staff][Officers and Committees][History][Library]

 [2015 Tax Maps]